YOUNGER LOOKING HANDS
Our hands are always visible yet we often neglect them, and they need more than a wash with soap and water to keep their youthful appearance.
We spend a lot of energy, time and money looking after our face, teeth and hair but we generally do not extend the same level of care to our hands. Our hands are subjected to multiple and ongoing attacks, and they unfortunately give away our age to the same degree as our faces… sometimes even more.
For this reason, Hand rejuvenation treatments are becoming increasingly popular and are now an integral part of anti-aging treatment programs.
The two main causes of hand aging are:
1. Actinic damage or changes caused by exposure to the sun:
- Pigmentation disorders, such as age spots
- Precancerous or cancerous lesions
- Changes in collagen and elastic fibres, which cause skin to become thinner and more fragile
2. Changes in volume:
- Decrease in subcutaneous fat.
- Reduced bone mass and deformations caused by arthritis.
Fortunately, there are currently many first-rate methods for slowing down hand aging and restoring radiance and youth to your hands.
More superficial damage can be treated with:
- Topical preparations that stimulate collagen and lighten the colour of the skin, such as vitamin A derivatives (Retin-A®, Tazorac®, Differin®) and vitamin C-based preparations
- Chemical peels using AHA
- Light microdermabrasion with infusion of therapeutic substances (HydraFacial® for the hands)
- Phototherapy (e.g. using BBL™ technology) to remove age spots.
Deeper damage, extending to the dermis and fatty tissues, can be treated using:
- Dermal filler injections, such as Teosyal®, Juvederm®, Esthelis®, Selphyl®
- “Volumizing” injectables that stimulate collagen production, such Radiesse®.
Before seeking treatment, think prevention. The only truly effective strategy for guarding against actinic damage is to protect our skin, as often as possible, from the devastating effects of the sun’s rays. That means that regular use of UVB- and UVA-blocking sun creams is a must, on our hands too!